* 1-2/3 cups finely chopped blanched almonds
* 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
* 8 whole eggs plus 3 additional egg yolks
* 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
* Grated zest of 2 lemons
* Confectioners' sugar for topping (optional)
1. Preheat an oven to 350 F. Butter a 10-inch springform pan.
2. In a food processor, combine the almonds and 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar and process until ground. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat together the whole eggs, egg yolks and remaining sugar until very thick and pale. Gradually add the flour, the ground almond mixture and the lemon zest. Spoon into the prepared pan.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake emerges clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack.
6. Release the pan sides and slide the cake onto a serving platter.
7. If you like, sift a dusting of confectioners' sugar over the top.