* 1¼ cups granulated sugar
* ½ cup water
* 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries (about 3½ cups)
* 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cut into ¼-inch pieces (2 cups)
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* ½ cup golden raisings
* ½ cup packed light brown sugar
* ¼ cup cider vinegar
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
1. Combine granulated sugar and water in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil gently 3 minutes. Add cranberries, apples, onion, raisings, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and cloves.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally. Cool; stir in walnuts. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks before serving.
Makes about 3½ cups without walnuts or 4 cups with walnuts.