Olive Oil, for frying
1 lb. mackerel, small seabass, or sea bream, cleaned, with heads left on.
Matza "Cake" Meal, for dredging
2 medium, sliced Onion (check for infestation)
1/3 teaspoon Chili Pepper
3 -4 cloves, chopped Garlic
1 sprig or 1 teaspoon dried leaves Rosemary
2 Bay Leaf
1/2 cup Red Wine
1/2 cup red wine Vinegar
* In a skillet, heat about 1 inch of olive oil over high heat.
* Dredge the fish in the matza cake meal, shake to lose excess cake meal, and fry on both sides until golden.
* Be careful not to overcook.
* Place fish on paper towels to drain.
* Pass the cooking oil through a fine sieve or cheesecloth, wipe the skillet with paper towels, and pour the clean oil back in.
* Heat over medium heat and saute the onion for 3 minutes or until translucent.
* Add the chili pepper and the garlic to the skillet.
* Return the fish to the skillet, and add the rosemary and bay leaves.
* Pour the wine and vinegar over and simmer for about 5 minutes.
* Season with salt.
* Serve fish with the sauce, warm or cold.