* Mix butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
* Stir in egg yolk and brandy. Then add sifted flour and baking powder, a little at a time.
* Knead well until dough is smooth.
* If it is too soft, add a little flour.
* Take small pieces of dough and shape into balls, the size of a small egg or shape into crescents, or into small pears and insert a clove in the top of each.
* Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
* Bake in moderate oven, about 20 minutes.
* Roll Kourabiethes while warm in powdered sugar.
* Then sift sugar over as they must be very well coated. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
* You may add 1/2 cup blanched and finely chopped almonds to the dough.