* 1 pound lamb shank, cut into 2-inch pieces, bone included
* 3 medium onions, chopped (1½ cups)
* 9 cups water
* 1 cup raw rice, well rinsed
* ¼ tsp black pepper
* 1 whole fresh jalape
1. Put the lamb in a dry soup pan and stir-fry over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the onions, stir-fry for 1 minute, cover the pan, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes, or until lamb is tender.
2. Add the rice and cook for 10 minutes. Add the pepper, hot chili, tomato paste, garlic and salt and cook for 15 minutes. Lastly add the herbs and cook for 2 minutes more.
Serve hot. Serves 8 - 10.
Variation: One pound beef chunk or rib ends of beef with bone can be substituted for the lamb. Follow the same directions.