12 eggs, separated
1½ cups sugar
½ cup orange juice
Grated rind of 1 lemon Grated rind of 1 orange
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
¼ cup potato flour
1 cup matzah meal cake flour
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Using an electric mixer or food processor, beat the egg yolks until frothy and lemon colored. Add sugar gradually. Add orange juice and grated lemon and orange rinds. Add nuts if desired.
3. Sift together the potato flour and the matzah meal cake flour. Add to the mixture.
4. Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add a pinch of salt and beat until stiff and shiny but not dry. (A good sponge cake needs a great deal of air beat until the eggs.) Fold into other ingredients.
5. Bake in an ungreased 10-inch angel-food pan for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Inver pan and cool thoroughly before removing cake. Use a cake divider to cut