* 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
* ½ cup semolina
* 2½ sticks parve margarine or 2 sticks butter
* 2 tsp vegetable oil
* ¼ - ½ cup water
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
* 1½ cups roughly ground walnuts
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* ½ cup sugar
1. Combine the flour, semolina, margarine, and vegetable oil. Add the water gradually. Blend well. (A food processor is splendid for this.) Cover and set aside for 10 - 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
2. Combine the walnuts with the cinnamon and sugar.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Either use the ma'amoul mold described above or take a piece of dough about the size of a walnut. Roll it into a ball and hollow out the center. Inside, place a heaping teaspoon of walnut filling. With your hands, mold the dough closed.
5. Place each cookie on an ungreased cookie sheet. With the tines of a fork or tweezers with a serrated edge, make designs on the top of the cookie, being sure not to penetrate the crust.
6. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Do not brown; the cookies should look white. Cool. When hard, roll in confectioners' sugar.