* One 1-pound can tomatoes, chopped, with the juice
* 2 quarts water
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
* 2 tbsp chopped parsley
* ½ green pepper, chopped
* ½ cup whole barley
* ½ cup small dried lima beans
* 1 carrot, slices
* 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp snipped fresh dill
1. In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, juice, water, onion, celery, parsley, green pepper, barley, and lima beans. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, 1½ hours.
2. Add the carrot, mushrooms, salt, and dill. Continue simmering until the carrot is tender (about 20 minutes).
3. Correct seasonings and sprinkle on additional dill, if desired.