* About 1 pound canned salmon, drained, bones and skin removed, or, even better, an equal amount of poached fresh salmon
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
* 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots, or ¼ cup finely minced onions
* 1 tbsp grated lemon zest (for an eloquent contrast to the rich smoked salmon - optional).
* 5-6 ounces smoked salmon or lox, cut into fine shreds (about ½ - ²/³ cup) - by all means, use the less expensive "ends," if available
* ½ cup matzoh meal or all-purpose flour
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* 3 tbsp mayonnaise
* 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
* 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
* ½ - ²/³ cup toasted matzph crumbs, preferable made from egg matzoh, or use toasted matzoh meal (see page 25-26 for making and toasting matzoh crumbs; crumbs will give you a crunchier texture).
* Olive or vegetable oil, for oven-frying
* Lemon wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, flake the salmon well. Add the eggs, dill, shallots or onions, lemon zest, if using, smoked salmon or lox, and matzoh meal or flour, and combine thoroughly. Season to taste with salt (none may be needed, especially if the lox is salty) and pepper. Form the mixture into 4-6 hamburger-shaped patties.
3. Prepare the coating. In a shallow bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice together. Put the toasted matzoh crumbs or meal on a large sheet of wax paper or a plate. Using your fingers, spread each croquette on all sides with the mayonnaise mixture. Roll each in the crumbs or meal to coat well. To make the coating adhere better, pat it firmly on both sides of the croquettes and refrigerate the croquettes for 15-20 minutes, if you have the time.
4. With the oil, generously grease a baking sheet large enough to accommodate the croquettes without touching. Heat it in the oven until the oil is sizzling. Gently shake off any excess crumbs or matzoh meal from the croquettes, then arrange them on the hot baking sheet at least ½ inch apart (so they will cook crisply around the edges too). Bake until the bottoms are crisp and golden, 5-7 minutes. Turn and bake until golden on the other side, 3-4 minutes longer. Serve with lemon wedges.