* 2 pound top rib
* 1 quart light beef broth
* 3 cups tinned tomatoes, finely chopped, with their juice cup
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 2 pounds cabbage, coarsely shredded or very thinly sliced
* 1 quart water
* 2 onions, diced
* 1 tsp sour salt
* ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 3 tbsp golden raisins
1. Combine the top rib, broth, and water in a 10-quart soup pot or kettle. Bring to a boil over moderate heat and skim off the gray residue for 5 minutes, or until every last bit of residue has been cleaned off the top. Add the onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, sour salt, black pepper, and sugar.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then cover and simmer 3 hours, until the meat is very tender. Stir in the raisings, set the lid to the pot slightly askew, and simmer 20 minutes. Taste, correct the seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper as necessary.
3. Serve the soup with boiled potatoes, a side of meat accompanied by a good strong horseradish, and dark bread.