* 2 pounds chicken parts- legs, thighs, breast-loose skin and fat discarded
* 1 medium onion, sliced (½ cup)
* ¼ tsp ground turmeric
* ½ tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp pepper
* 2 tsp corn oil
* ¼ cup water
* ¹/³ cup juice from canned cherries
* ¼ cup sugar
* ¼ cup toasted blanched almonds
* ¹/³ cup dried orange peel slivers, soaked in hot water
* 1 cup sour cherries
1. Put the onion on the bottom of a saucepan, and cover with the chicken, turmeric, salt, pepper, oil and water. Cover the pan tightly and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. Stir once or twice during this period to prevent burning. Should the pan dry out too quickly add 2 or 3 tbsp water. Cook until the chicken is tender and the liquid evaporated. Set aside.
2. Mix ingredients for cherry pilau together in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer for 3 minutes to prepare the syrup. Serve the rice and pass cherry mixture and chicken separately.
Note: Fine slivers of orange peel may be prepared at home. Cut off the outer rind of the orange peel, then scrape off and discard the white pulp. Cut the peel with scissors into very thin julienne, 1-inch-long slices. Put them on a try in a sunny window or othe warm place and let them dry for several days. Toss them now and then to endure the drying is uniform. Store in a jar with a tight cover. When preparing for use, soak in hot water for 2 - 3 minutes.