* 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough (17x12-inch rectangles), thawed
* 1/3 cup parve margarine, melted
* 1/4 cup margarine
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (8 cups)
* 1/2 cup golden raisins
* 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
* 3 tbsp light non-dairy cream
* 3 tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts
* Sifted powdered sugar
* Non-Dairy Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
1. For crust, lay one sheet of phyllo dough on an 11- to 13-inch pizza pan; brush with part of the 1/3 cup melted parve margarine. Lay a second sheet on top, perpendicular to the first; brush with margarine. Repeat for a total of 8 sheets, placing each sheet perpendicular to the previous one. Fold outside edges toward the center, forming a shell about 10 inches in diameter. (It's OK if some of the phyllo dough sheets tear, causing a flakier-looking edge.) Brush phyllo lightly with any of the remaining 1/3 cup melted margarine. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until phylo is golden. If the crust puffs during baking, poke a few holes in the crust with a fork, gently flattening the center. Let the crust cool completely.
2. For filling, melt the remaining 1/4 cup margarine in a Dutch oven. Stir in brown sugar, apple juice concentrate, and cinnamon. Stir in apples and raisins until coated. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring once. Remove fruit with a slotted spoon, reserving juices. Toss fruit with flour and spoon into prepared crust; set aside. (To make filling ahead, prepare to this point. Cool about 30 minutes before spooning into crust. Drizzle with cream mixture and sprinkle with nuts before baking.)
3. For cream mixture, gently boil reserved juices in Dutch oven about 6 minutes or until thickened and reduced to about 1/4 cup. Add 3 tbsp light non-dairy cream; cook and stir over low heat until well combined. Pour over apple mixture in crust. Sprinkle nuts over top. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 20 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. If desired, serve warm with non-dairy whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare crust; cool. Loosely cover with plastic wrap; store at room temperature up to 1 day. Prepare filling, cover and chill up to 2 hours.