1. Remove drumstick and thigh by pressing leg away from body. The joint connecting leg to backbone will often snap free or may be severed easily with knife point. Cut dark meat completely from the body by following body contour carefully with a knife.
2. Place drumstick and thigh on cutting surface and cut through connecting joint.
3. Tilt drumstick to a convenient angle, slicing toward cutting surface as shown.
4. To slice thigh meat, hold firmly on cutting surface with a fork. Cut slices evenly and parallel to the bone.
Carving the Breast:
1. Place knife parallel and as close to the wing as possible. Make deep cut into breast cutting to the bone. This is your base cut. All breast slices will stop at this horizontal cut.
2. After making the base cut, carve downward, ending at the base cut slightly higher up on the breast. Keep slices thin and even.
Kitchen carving method:
1. Remove half of the breast at a time by cutting along keel bone and rib cage with a sharp knife.
2. Place half-breast on cutting surface and slice evenly against the grain of the meat. Repeat with a second half-breast as additional slices are needed.