· 4 cups all-purpose flour (sift)
· ½ cup warm water (110°F)
· 1 Tbs. white sugar
· 1 Tbs. active dry yeast
· 1 Tbs. sea salt
· ¾ cup warm water (110°F)
· 3 Tbs. Drakopoulos’ EV olive oil
· 5 cloves garlic, minced
· ½ cup Drakopoulos’ Kalamata olives, seeded, chopped
· 1 Tbs. cornmeal (check for infestation)
1. In a medium bowl dissolve sugar in ½ cup warm water.
2. To proof yeast, stir in yeast and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes in a warm place.
3. Preheat oven to 105°F .
4. Warm an pyrex bowl in the oven.
5. Place the flour in the bowl of the food processor.
6. Add salt and pulse for a few seconds.
7. Start food processor.
8. Pour proofed yeast into flour through hole.
9. Immediately add the additional ¾ cup warm water, then the olive oil.
10. Process for about 1 minute or until dough ball cleans the sides of the processor bowl.
11. If dough is too wet add a little flour through the top while processing, or if too dry, add a little more water.
12. Turn off food processor.
13. Remove lid and transfer dough to the heated bowl.
14. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap.
15. Let rise for ½ hour in a warm place.
16. In a small bowl, combine minced garlic and chopped olives.
17. Set aside.
18. Once dough has risen transfer dough to a lightly floured board.
19. Make an indentation in the dough and place olive mixture inside.
20. Knead dough 10 times.
21. Bulk of mixture should remain in middle of dough.
22. Form dough into a log or round loaf shape.
23. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a greased baking sheet and place loaf on top.
24. Turn oven to 150°F for 2 minutes and then turn off.
25. Let dough rise in warm oven for ½ hour, or until light and puffy.
26. Remove loaf and increase oven temperature to 350°F .
27. Bake bread at 350°F for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
28. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.