Note: Charring liver slightly over or under an open flame makes it kosher. It is the device of ritual.
* 2 pounds chicken livers
* 3 tbsp corn oil
* 1 pound onions (about 3), sliced
* 2 cups thin-sliced celery ribs and leaves
* ½ tsp ground allspice
* ½ tsp pepper
* 1 tsp salt
1. Char the chicken livers under a flame in a broiler or over charcoal for 3 minutes. Cut them into ½-inch pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet and stir-fry the onions over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Add the livers, celery, allspice and pepper. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Uncover the pan, add the salt, and stir-fry over moderate heat for 2 minutes more.
Serve warm. Serves 8 with other dishes.