· 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
· 2 garlic cloves,roasted. peeled and mashed
· ½ cup mushroom broth (I substituted chicken broth)
· 1 cup red wine, fruity (e.g. Zinfandel)
· ¼ tsp. coriander seeds, crushed (a mortar and pestle)
· ¼ tsp. peppercorns
· 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
· Kosher salt and ground pepper
· 4 beef steaks, about 6 oz. each, thin, trimmed
· 4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned (check for infestation)
· 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1. To make the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes, garlic, and broth.
2. Bring to a boil and cook until most of the liquid had evaporated, about 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, pour in the wine, and add the coriander and peppercorns.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced by one third, about 8 minutes.
5. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
6. Discard the solids.
7. Whisk in the olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
8. Season with pepper and keep warm.
9. Grill your thin steaks to the desired doneness.
10. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
11. Brush mushroom caps with olive oil and grill until tender through-out when pierced in the center with a sharp knife.
12. Place a mushroom, cap side down, in the center of each plate.
13. Set a thin beef steak on top of the mushroom.
14. Top with one-fourth of the wine sauce.