Potatoes – 2 medium (boiled and mashed)
Mixed Vegetables – 1.5 cups (like green peas, carrots, green beans, corn, etc)
Paneer – 3-4oz
Onions – 1/4 medium (finely chopped or grated)
Ginger & Garlic - 1 tblsp (minced)
Green Chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
Cilantro – 2 tblsp (finely chopped)
Chopped Cashews - 2 tblsp
Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Flour - 2 tblsp (for coating the cutlets)
Bread Crumbs – about 1 cup (for coating the cutlets)
Oil – for frying
1. Boil the potatoes and drain them immediately to prevent them from absorbing lot of water. Peel and mash it and keep aside.
2. Finely chop or grate the other vegetables. You can also chop in a food processor.
3. Boil the other vegetables too. You can do it in the microwave or stove top. Squeeze out as much water as possible from the vegetables. This is very essential in making good cutlets.
4. Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions and ginger garlic paste for few minutes. This step is optional and removes the raw flavour in the onions and garlic.
5. Make a very thin batter with the maida and water. Keep it ready to dip the cutlets.
6. Spread the breadcrumbs also in a plate to coat the cutlets before frying.
7. Take the boiled potatoes and vegetables in a mixing bowl.
8. Add the sauteed onion, ginger garlic mixture, green chillies, lemon juice, chopped cashews, salt, cilantro, cumin powder, turmeric powder and chilly powder.
9. Mix everything together. Taste the mixture and adjust any seasonings as per your taste.
10. Shape into round patties. You can also make the cutlets in triangular or oval shapes.
11. Dip each cutlets quickly in the maida batter and then roll it in the bread crumbs. The cutlets should be coated with the bread crumbs on all sides.
12. In the meantime heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
13. Gently drop each cutlet into the oil and fry until it is golden brown on all sides. Alternatively, you can pan fry the cutlets on a tawa.
- You can serve the cutlets as a snack with ketchup, chilli sauce or green chutney.
- You can also make a bigger cutlet and place it in between buns along with lettuce and chopped tomatoes to make a vegetable burger.