· 10-14 fresh green chilies / jalapenos, seeded if you like, coarsely chopped
· 1 tsp. sea salt
· 6-8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
· 1 tsp. caraway seeds, freshly ground
· 1 tsp. cumin seeds, freshly ground
· 1/2 tsp. green cardamom, freshly ground
· 1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
· 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves (check for infestation)
· 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground (check for webbing)
· 2-4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1. Place the chilies, salt, garlic, caraway, cumin, cardamom, cilantro, parsley, pepper, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor or in a blender and pulse several times, until you get a smooth paste.
2. You will have to scrape down all the bits and pieces that stick to the sides of the bowl.
3. Pack in a jar and store in the refrigerator.
4. Zhug will keep for 1 to 2 weeks.
5. You can also freeze it, but it will lose some of its garlicky flavor.