2 large chopped onions
4 cloves of minced garlic
¾ cup olive oil
¾ cup long grain rice
¼ tsp red pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 can of tomato sauce
¾ cup brown lentils
4 cups water
1 cup pasta
½ cup white vinegar
1 cup of boiled chickpeas
1. In a large saucepan, put the lentils in water and bring it to a boil.
2. Simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes then drain.
3. Add new water to the lentils and then add the rice.
4. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes more or until rice gets tender.
5. Fill a separate saucepan with water, add a little bit of salt and bring to a boil.
6. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until it gets tender, then drain.
7. In a skillet, put some of the olive oil and heat it up then add the garlic and simmer until its color starts fading.
8. Add the vinegar to garlic and bring it to boil.
9. After the vinegar boils with garlic, add the tomato sauce and some salt and pepper to taste, then add the cumin. Bring the mix to boil on high heat, then lower heat after it boils.
10. Put the rest of the oil, should be plenty, in another skillet and heat it up, then add the chopped onions and stir until it is brownish. Take it out of the oil and leave it aside.
11. Take a little bit of the oil used with the onions and out it on the pasta and stir it until the macaroni gets the onions flavor.
To serve this dish, you can put it in layers, like the Egyptians do, or just mix it all together. But if you would like to do it all the Egyptian way, here is how to do so.
1st: Put a layer of rice and lentils.
2nd: A layer of pasta.
3rd: A layer of the special sauce.
4th: A layer of the boiled chickpeas.
5th: A layer of fried onions.