* 2-1/4 lb sweet cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
* 1-1/4 C sugar
* 1/2 C golden raisins
* 1 C plus 1 T unsalted, pareve margarine
* 1/4 C honey
* 3 large eggs
* 3 C all purpose flour
* 2-1/2 t baking powder
* 2 t finely grated orange zest
* 1/2 C walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch ovenproof pan with 1T margarine. Line foil or parchment and grease with 1T margarine.
3. In a medium bowl, toss apples with 1/2 C sugar, set aside.
4. Soften raisins in hot water or tea 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
5. Beat the 1 C margarine until smooth and add remaining sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
6. Add honey, eggs one at a time; stir in sifted flour, baking powder and zest.
7. Stir in apples, raisins and nuts.
8. Spread smoothly in prepared pan.
9. Bake about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool on rack 20 minutes. Invert onto serving tray. Frost, if desired.
Honey Frosting1 (for apple or honey cakes)
* 2 egg whites
* Dash of salt
* 3/4 C honey
1. Beat whites and salt until well peaked, not dry.
2. Add honey in a slow steady stream, beating constantly. Frosting holds its shape after five minutes in an electric mixer.
3. Frost cake.