* 1 pound dried raisings
* 8 ounces pitted dates
* 2 cups water
* ¼ cup sugar
* ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Place the raisins and dates in a bowl with enough water to cover. Let stand for one hour.
2. Add the sugar and whirl the mixture in a blender, a few spoonfuls at a time.
3. Transfer the chopped fruits to a heavy saucepan and let simmer over low heat until the fruits are cooked and the liquid absorbed. It should take about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and place in a jar. When cool, sprinkle with chopped nuts.